The Estimator of the Precast Utility Products Division is an integral member of the Sales Team. In this role, the Estimator will prepare timely and accurate cost estimates for a wide variety of standard and custom precast products including sanitary and storm manholes, storm catch basins and curb inlets, water meter pits, walls, tanks, electrical manholes, pull boxes and other custom concrete products as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office: Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to read and interpret civil plans and specifications to determine scope of work.
- Ability to develop and implement measurable goals, objectives, and procedures.
- Ability to prioritize deadlines for multiple jobs; keeping an open line of communication with all customers, management and other sales team associates.
- Work with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail at all times while preparing timely and accurate cost estimates for all precast concrete products.
- Strong analytical, organizational and documentation skills.
- Exhibits strong sense of professionalism.
- Awareness of sales objectives and strong desire to exceed those goals.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Provide sales support to walk-in and call-in customers.
- Takeoff information from civil engineering plans and input to estimating software.
- Conduct ongoing research to obtain data on labor costs, materials and production (lead times, manufacturing process time, and seasonal curing time)
- Work directly with customers to identify and define project requirements.
- Complete quotes by studying contract plans; updating specifications, identifying and projecting costs for each precast style from contract document elevations.
- Obtain bids from vendors and subcontractors by specifying materials and negotiating price; including any freight outsourcing as needed.
- Prioritize goals and objectives, adhere to deadlines and recommend and implement solutions for changes and improvements.
- Locate drawings and specifications if not provided by customer.
- Input and invoice walk-in and call-in stock orders utilizing Titan 3000.
- Uphold the highest quality of customer service; resolving problems, completing audits, determining improvements and implementing change if necessary.
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation, plans and reports.
- Attend in-house meetings to report on future work projections.
- Actively solicit upcoming project planning and bidding from the Builder’s Exchange site.
- Maintain safety by adhering to organization standards.
- Assist in year-end reporting.
Education and Work Experience:
- An Associate’s Degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering or a similar field is preferred; or the candidate must possess equivalent combinations of technical training and experience.
- 1+ years of experience in estimating in the Precast Underground Utility Industry.
- Estimator of the Utility Products Division may have to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. There is the potential for light lifting of supplies and materials from time to time.