Tips when purchasing a home with a septic system
There are things you can do to ensure a trouble free septic system when you are purchasing a home. Making sure the system was designed properly and that the previous owners maintained the system will save you from trouble down the road. Here is a simple checklist to help:
Septic System Checklist for Homebuyers
- How old is the system?
- What is the size of the system?
- Have there been any previous problems?
- Has it ever backed into the house?
- Is there a maintenance record?
- When was the septic tank last pumped?
Check the following:
- Make sure the septic tank is accessible for pumping.
- Fully check the system. Locate the soil absorption field and check the grounds for seeping effluent. You can inspect leech beds by purchasing a biodegradable dye to put down your sink. The dye will surface in the leech bed if you have a problem. E. C. Babbert, Inc. can furnish this dye.
- Have a professional check to make sure the septic system is properly sited.
- Determine what needs to be done, if anything, before you buy the house.